Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Tablescape Tuesday ~ A Child Is Born


Welcome friends and Bless All Who Enter! This is the eighteenth Tablescape Tuesday hosted by Susan @ Between Naps On The Porch. Susan is a master at tablescapes, stop by and see hers and a host of other participants. The numbers keep growing every week.

I've made my way back to the kitchen this week mainly because the colors that I'm using in my tablescape are best suited for in here.

This is the center of my tablescape. I've had this centerpiece for about six years. Yes, it came from Big Lots ( back when they had beautiful things, yeah I know you know). I paid 24.99 for it, and I love it dearly!

It's a beautiful one piece sculpture and sits on a wood base. The detail is breathtaking but my camera could not capture its true beauty.

I tried several ideas in this tablescape but decided to keep it simple to magnify that "Jesus Is The Reason For The Season". Only one thing, I could not find paper plates that were suitable this time. I saw a few that had grapes and such but they just didn't have what I was looking for.
Now about a week after my first try at tablescaping, I knew that I wanted to do a tablescape using this centerpiece and had been on the look-out for something to go with it. On one of my trips to Marshall's I came across these plates. I thought the were lovely even though they are stoneware. They are by MIKASA and they're called Countryside Harvest. They only had four and were the great price of 2.99 each. I thought they were perfect because the centerpiece has touches of white in it, so I was happy with this purchase.

They have that little raised detail with just enough added color to bring it out just so. Frantic that I couldn't find any paper plates to go with them, I started to look for other options. Then one day I was in Hobby Lobby and I caught a glimpse of these. I thought they would be perfect because they had the same earth color as one of the robes in the centerpiece.

They came in this color, cream, and burgundy. I really wanted the dinner plates in this color and the desert plates in cream but the dinner plates were 13.99 each and the desert plates were 11.99 each. Well, I went back a couple of days later and they were on sale for 50 percent off. So I thought that since I had the four dinner plates from Marshall's in cream I could make due with just the desert plates in the color above. So I bought four.

They are beautiful! The picture does not do it justice, the outer rim has a metallic finish of some sort. I've never heard of this brand like lots of the others because plates and china and stuff has just never been my thing. It says on the back, Certified International, Karidesign, who's heard of it? No one I'm sure, but whatever it says, I love them.
Close up of setting

I used the napkins and rings that I use year round in my dining room when it's not the holidays and I have the matching place mats (not pictured).

I used my new serving dish that I just got as a gift from one of my club members, I think it fits in well with these colors.
So there you have it, thanks for stopping by to help me celebrate the birth of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, with a Tuesday Tablescape in His honor.
After today I will probably be very very busy, that's why I'm trying to visit as many tablescapes before I go to bed. Today I have gifts to wrap and dinner to cook. Then on Christmas Eve I'll be delivering gifts to my grandkids so they'll have them when they wake up Christmas morning. I would like to wish each and everyone of you a Merry, Merry, Christmas and the best of wishes for a Happy New Year! Deb

49 comments:

Lisa said...

How beautiful! Such rich, vibrant colors! What wonderful memories you can make around your table this Christmas! Merry Christmas to you and thank you!

clnmike said...

Wow, that is lovely.

Sue said...

Wow Deb you really have a talent for tablescaping! The nativity is gorgeous and your placesetting works beautifully with it! Love seeing that little Marshalls sticker, my most fav store ever! LOL!! Merry Christmas sweetie!! xo

Bo said...

Good morning Deb...I yearn for the "old days" at Big Lots...You are so fortunate to have this beautiful Nativity...the details on it are wonderful. You really scored on your new dishes too... I love the shapes and your table looks fabulous!
Merry Christmas, ;-) Bo

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

OH Deb its just wonderful..and I miss the ole big lot days also..love your flatware and your new serving dish looks beautiful with your table..hope you have a Great Christmas..hugs and smiles Gloria

bj said...

oh, now this is a true tablescape...just luscious.
I adore the centerpiece.
love, bj

Lisa (aka) French said...

Your table looks wonderful Deb;) I like the white plates you have;) Simple white is always my favorite;) Hugs and Happy Holidays to you and yours!!French;)

Connie said...

Isn't it amazing that when we find Christ how much love we have in our heart of everyone, sugar chick?!?! I always feel a kinship with those who aren't afraid to speak of our Lord and show Him off in their homes. Of course, your tablescape is stunning, sweetpea!!
Smooches and Merry Christmas,
Connie

squawmama said...

Wow Deb... You really did great today.... I LOVED your tablescape and your centerpiece is majestic... It so demands the eyes to be drawn right to it... So my friend I really loved your table today... And Deb... I think your home is so full of love and beauty... I love it. Have a Terrific Tuesday... Love YA

(((HUGS)))
Donna

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Wow! I am so impressed with what you did and such great prices! I like the fact that the nativity is all one piece, too. That's really great for a centerpiece. You did such a great job on this!

XO,

Sheila

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Deb this is just gorgeous. I love the use of your nativity for the centerpiece. It is the reason for the season. Your tablescape is breathtaking..
from our home to yours,
Merry Christmas hugs ~lynne~

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh My Goodness! That centerpiece is gorgeous! I am so amazed that you got it at Big Lots! And what lovely place settings. Have a wonderful Christmas. laurie

Gini said...

Very pretty. Your home is gorgeous. You are very talented at decorating.

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Deb,

It is all so gorgeous! LOVE the centerpiece and how you carefully matched the plates to robe etc...
I completely understand. I do that too.
I point out things like that to my DH and he just says..."oh, okay sure". LOL! :)

Wonderful post! I'm adding you to my favorites.
Love your blog.

Hope you have a wonderful and blessed Holiday.
~Melissa :)

PAT said...

Oh be still my heart! Deb, this is gorgeous! I love shopping at HomeGoods/Marshalls. I usually only buy four plates, etc. The prices at these stores are so reasonable it's easy to have different options. The dining room table, most of the time only seats four, so I can have lots of fun setting the table in that room.

I love your Nativity. What a treasure. It's beautiful.

I just bought the flatware in this week's tablescape. Next time you're in Target have a look in the flatware shelves. These pieces are just over $1, I think around 1.29 each. I saw them awhile back and decided to go back and get them after seeing them used on the table of Savvy City Farmer, blog. You might like them too.

Great post!
Merry Christmas!

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Beautiful dishes! They'll be worth having to wash them ;o)

Love your nativity scene! I think I am going to do a nativity table Christmas Eve.

Sharon S said...

Hi there-what a truly beautiful tablescape my dear!! Happy Christmas to you and all your family!

Unknown said...

Your table is beautiful! I love the nativity. It is such a nice set!

Merry Christmas!
~Liz

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Your dishes are beautiful--it's almost like they were waiting for you at Marshall's. The Nativity is breathtaking--your whole table is a joy to behold.
Hugs,
Gollum

ellen b. said...

Hi Deb!
I just love every detail of your table and the room your table is in. Fabulous! Love that added salad plate. The nativity center piece is really special. Blessings on you Christmas!!

Buffie said...

I love that center piece! What a great find, it looks awesome Deb!

Buffie

Raxx - A day in the life said...

Deb I learn a lot from you! Your centerpiece is really lovly and a beautiful tablescape all round!

Merry Christmas!

Myrna said...

OH! I love all the layers of dishes! And LOVE using the nativity as a centerpiece..an idea I will 'borrow' next year!! ;-)
Christmas Blessings to you!!

CIELO said...

Gorgeous table, I love your stoneware... and thanks for stopping by the house in the roses to smell the roses... ;)

Merry Christmas and warm wishes from our house to yours.

Cielo

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Beautiful table! The nativity is gorgeous!!

Have a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Morning, Deb and your table is so beautiful! I adore your beautiful Nativity and those plates. You got some real bargains.
Merry Christmas, dear one,
Shelia ;)

Envoy-ette said...

I love it! The colors are soothing and support your centerpiece- which is what you were intending! Well done indeed!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Your tablescape is so lovely...I love the nativity as the centerpiece. I would love to stop by your blog more, but for some reason...you blog gets hung up for me. Everything you have for Christmas looks lovely. Have a wonderful day celebrating Jesus' birthday!

nikkicrumpet said...

The perfect place settings to go with that gorgeous nativity. what a great idea for a centerpiece!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Beautiful, Deb! I love the Nativity scene! I browsed down, cause I am so far behind! LOL! Your home is fabulous, inside and out decorated for Christmas! I love your living room! The colors are so serene and pretty!

...and then I got to your singing debut! Girl, You are GOOD!!...Real Good! LOL! I enjoyed your video and hope you will post more of you singing! You are one lady of MANY talents!

I hope you and your family have a Wonderful and Blessed Christmas! ~hugs, Rhonda :)

Anonymous said...

Deb,this is so fabulous.I adore that nativity,and those lovely dishes.Well done,my friend well done...Ann

Femin Susan said...

Hello……
This is amazing!! I am so glad to found your blog!
You are welcomed to my blog…….
"A Merry X'Mas and A Happy New Year''

Hopechest Bride said...

Hi,
What a beautiful place setting. I saw those warm tone plates at Hobby Lobby the other week and fell in love. They are just beautiful. I also heart those creamy white ones you choose. Very good choice. Thanks for the well wishes while I was sick. I feel 100 % better.
Blessings
Happy Holidays
Lisa

Kindra-At Home With K said...

The nativity scene is just gorgeous! What a wonderful piece to have! And you decorated the table just lovely around that important reason for the season.

Your home looks so lovely for the holidays. Well...anytime. I like all the candles in the windows.:)

Merry Christmas to you and your family. Hugs.

Miss Janice said...

I just love your tablescape...I love the dinnerware and that centerpiece! Thanks for setting your table with Jesus as the centerpiece:-) I loooove that serving dish too girl! P.S. Thanks for stopping by my site...a friend wrote the names on my goblets. Merry Christmas to you and I look forward to visiting your blog again!

Lana G! said...

LOVE IT! We both had our nativities out today in celebration of our Lord and Savior! Blessings on you and yours this Christmas!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Wow, Deb...you found some beautiful pieces! What a lovely tablescape! I can see why you like the plates so much...they are really pretty! The centerpiece is just beyond wonderful! Thanks for sharing this great tablescape. I just love how you had a vision and found all the right pieces to put it all together! Merry Christmas, Susan

Kathleen Ellis said...

Very beautiful, Deb! I love the centerpiece! The dishes all go so beautifully together, great job!
Merry Christmas!

Sue said...

Love your dishes---the nativity is beautiful. your home is also beautiful.

thanks for visiting my blog---


MERRY CHRISTMAS-----------


SUE

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,
Just stopped by to give you my best Christmas wishes for you and your family!

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

niartist said...

Deb! Love it love it love it! And you know - I've seen all of that stuff and wanted it so desperately but thought that I would get in trouble for bringing it home! It's so good to see it so beautifully displayed on your table! Just perfect! Thanks for stopping by my tablescape Tuesday - I hope next week is a slower one so that I can make a better looking centerpiece! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Your tablescape is just gorgeous as always - amazing centerpiece!

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and blessed New Year!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

Deb,

Your table looks fabulous!!! I love those Mikasa Dishes! What a great price!

Merry Christmas to you and your entire family! Be Happy & Safe!

xoxoxoxoxoxo
Donna Marie

Missy Wertz said...

You always set the most beautiful tables Deb!

I hope that you and your family had a wonderful and Merry Christmas this year!

Blessings,
Melissa

Sweetie said...

Your tablescape is beautiful. I especially like the way that you incorporated your beautiful Nativity. I also want to express my appreciation to you for your sympathy over the sudden passing of my husband. I should be back to blogging by the middle of next week.
With love,
Sweetie

The Muse said...

i'm a total fan of white dishware... :) and now, I must add that the nativity is gorgeous!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Lovely tablescaping, Deb! Your love of entertaining sure shows!

I hope you nad your family had a wonderful Christmas and I wish you and your family a Blessed New Year!

Tammy

Tardevil said...

Love both plates, but the nativity is most AWESOME! I mean it's gorgeous - even better than one from Lennox! You were so lucky to find that.

Miss Janice said...

Hello again,
Would you please take a moment and visit my blog--I have a dear friend who needs our prayers.