Tuesday, November 25, 2008

~In Home Shopping For A Lovely Tablescape Tuesday~



Today for Tablescape Tuesday I'm going to feature four plates that I have from the Currier & Ives collection. I bought them about 6 years ago and I always find a place to display them for the Christmas season. This year will be the first time they actually made it to the kitchen table due to Susan at Between Naps On The Porch, the hostess of Tablescape Tuesday, you must stop by her blog she has set the most beautiful table ever. Well I bought my plates at Big Lots, this is when Big Lots was really a discount store. Now I believe they're trying to compete with the big name retail stores with all the high price items they have now, but mind you, not a lot items that you would really want. Anyway I was pleased with this purchase back then, I paid 4 or 5.00 each. Everything else here are things I already had but never knew they could be used in a tablesetting until I met all of you Tablescape Tuesday participants. The above plate is called: The Road Winter, it and the others are paired with my same old chargers from last time, because I love them.


This plate is: American Homestead Winter


and this: American Winter Scene - Morning


Last but not least: Winter in the Country- A Cold Morning. Of course they're just for displaying you can't eat off of them, they're toxic if you do so, so what I really have here is two chargers. But, that's not a problem. I just pull out my trusty plastic ware in white, from the Dollar Store and there you go.

See, you still can enjoy a lovely table setting with dinner, in addition I could add a matching bowl or saucer if that's what's needed for my meal. You ask why not use real white plates for this small group? Because I don't have any. LOL!!! I'm really into large crowds and my paper and plastic is all I need.

Clean-up still a breeze! I must say I'm into fast clean-up the less house-work the better. Now if I plan to host a dinner for four and one of the quest is the Pope, I'll use the real thing. LOL!!! No puns intended for the Pope.

I went around the house and picked up items that would compliment the plates and I think it turned out okay but, I'll let you guys be the judge. This is the center view.

Right side

Left side

Centerpiece

Right angle

Left angle, the flatware was ordered from a catalog, I admit not one of my better purchases, but okay for everyday since at the time I ordered them they were to go with the everyday dishes that I ordered.

I know, it won't seat a crowd, but it's dinner for four, and cheap, cheap, cheap.

29 comments:

Glenda said...

This shows a great deal of thought and imagination. Love the church on the table.

Bo said...

Hi Deb...Your tablescape looks wonderful! Those plates are gorgeous...I agree with your comments about Big Lots...I hardly ever go there anymore...the stuff they carry is not nearly as good as it was years ago & it's too high also. L♥ved your table! ;-) Bo

PAT said...

Beautiful table Deb!

You won't believe this...or yes you will...when I was at HomeGoods, last Friday, I bought three Christmas Tree accent plates from Mikasa...you guessed it...I'm on my way to Marshall's, here at the lake, today...looking for more of those plates...what's a girl to do!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Delightful Deb!

I love the different scenes. Thanks for sharing.

squawmama said...

Good Morning Deb... I love your tablescape today....Your Currier & Ives collection is just beautiful... What a gorgeous setting for the holidays... Have a great day...

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Raxx - A day in the life said...

Good Morning Deb, Love your tablescape today! beautiful and still practical.

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Good Morning, Deb!! I love your tablescape. Isn't it fun when we can pull together things we already have. You did a great job!!
Hugs, Terrie

ellen b. said...

Doesn't look cheap to me it looks fabulous! Love the Joy framed print.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

BRAVO!! Deb...you girl out did yourself...I loved the little church and the things you added from around your house..all look wonderful together..and you are so right about Big Lots..Girl last time I went there and they had Furniture, I was so shocked at the prices..I use to love to go there because I could get cute things for my home...but now I just go to Home Goods..and Deb I have to go along ways to get to a store here from this mountain top..Great job Deb..not hand me a paper plate girl so I feel right at home haha!! Have a blessed Thanksgiving Deb to you and your Family...hugs and smiles Gloria

Buffie said...

OOh, gorgeous!!!

Buffie :)

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Deb, I am always impressed with your tables. ~Beautiful~ Love the "Joy" sign. Nice touch! ~Melissa :)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Aren't you brilliant to put those plastic plates on the decorative ones! Those Currier and Ives plates are beautiful, and I've never seen those before. What a deal you got on them. Your tablescape looks so inviting! A lady at our church wraps saran wrap around those "for decorative use only" plates, and brings cookies and other food on them. I thought that was a brilliant idea, but yours is even better! Thanks for sharing. laurie

Chanda said...

Very lovely Deb, I do hope you will enjoy your evening meal with this lovely set up. Very nice.
Shanda

Tardevil said...

I think it turned out gorgeous! And ditto to yours & Bo's comments on Big Lots! Love the chargers!

Deb said...

Laurie that is a great idea that your friend had. It also made me think that I could have used clear plastic plates. Deb

Anonymous said...

I love your tablescape! The dishes are beautiful and you've decorated your table with some lovely things. I love the fact that you placed a paper plate down to eat on!!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

You always do such amazing tablescapes! Love those Currier and Ives plates! I've never been a huge Big Lots shopper but I'm sorry I missed out on those plates.

I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

AREN'T YOU THE SNEAKY ONE.YOU'RE HAVING YOUR CAKE AND EATING IT TOO.HOW SMART.IT'S ALL SO VERY LOVELY.THE PLATES ARE AWESOME...ANN

nikkicrumpet said...

Very creative! And I for one think the plastic plates are brilliant! Then you get to enjoy your company and not spend so much time cleaning up!

Lisa (aka) French said...

Those plates are really pretty and I am not one to usually look that close at dinner ware;) French

KKJD1 said...

Beautiful! I love the Currier and Ives plates. The angels and church simply say thank you to the one we should be so thankful for each and everyday. Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving, Karen

Anonymous said...

Deb,

Your table looks stunning! I love everything about it! Your centerpeice is beautiful! Your dishes are awesome!

xoxoxoxo
Donna Marie

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Have a safe and Blessed Thanksgiving dear Deb...hugs and smiles Gloria

Sweetie said...

Hi Deb, I love the Currier & Ives pieces. Your ingenuity is terrific. Your settings are not only beautiful but also the clean up is easy. The Big Lots we had in our area went out of business. I had quit shopping there about six months before they shut down. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Sweetie

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Good Morning, Deb, Great tablescape! Love those dishes! I don't remember seeing them at our Big Lots. But I do agree with you about Big Lots and their prices! Used to be one of my favorite stores, but now is pricey and not nearly as good or pretty. The Christmas stuff this year is big let-down. Anyway, you have done a wonderful job with all of your objects gracing the table. I especially like the JOY sign!

Hope you are having a Happy Thanksgiving! ~Rhonda :)

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Deb I have tagged you girl...come and get it...hugs and smiles Gloria

Four Paws and Co said...

Great job! The plates are beautiful! ☺ Diane

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Hey Deb...thanks for coming by girl..and really Emu is not bad eating..I use to fix it all the time..I also sold all the eggs..they are huge green things..hope you had a great Thanksgiving girl...hugs and smiles Gloria

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Some how I missed several blogs on Tablescape Tuesday yseterday & your's was one of them. I better go back & see if there's any more I missed.

LOVE this table! It reminds me very much of my own tables for some reason. Maybe it's because you gathered things from around the house that will work. That's exactly how I usually do my tables.

Really a charming table Deb!