Thursday, March 26, 2009

~ Foodie Friday~ featuring ~Barbecued Pork Chops with Sauteed Apples~


Welcome to Foodie Friday hosted by our lovely Gollum @ Designs By Gollum. Please visit, as she has a host of others participants with tasty recipes for all of us to try!

My contribution for today is:

Barbecued Pork Chops with Sauteed Apples

Here I've gathered are all of my ingredients

I started with my sauce. This sauce is soooooooo good!

1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce

Then I seasoned my pork, and it's ready for the grill.

1teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
I used crushed red peppers, I didn't have any ground

Smokeless inside grill, always put water in the bottom to keep it smokless. When ever I cook on it, the food is always so tender. Maybe it's because the water in the bottom keeps it moist.

Almost ready for sauce and it smells delightful!

Here I have brushed on that wonderful sauce, I cheated and added a 1/8 teaspoon of dried mustard to my sauce, which made it perfect!

Here's the finish! I also had steamed cabbage, sauteed apples, purple hull peas and cornbread patties. I know a little juice from the apples is on the plate but, that's for the cornbread. YUMMY! Thanks for stopping by my first Foodie Friday, hosted by Designs By Gollum. Don't forget to stop over for a taste of the many other participant's selections. My recipe is listed below.
Barbecued Pork Chops with Sauteed Apples

1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce

Remaining Ingredients:

6 (6oz) bone-in center cut pork chops
(about 1/2 inch thick)
1teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
Cooking spray
Sauteed Apples
Parsley sprigs (optional)

1. Prepare grill or broiler.

2. To prepare the sauce, combine brown sugar and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl (makes about 1/2 cup). Place 1/4 cup of the brown sugar sauce in another small bowl, and set aside.

3. Trim fat from pork chops. Combine thyme, garlic salt, and ground red pepper, spinkle pork chops with thyme mixture. Place pork chops on a grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray, and cook six minutes on each side, basting with 1/4 cup brown sugar sauce. Serve pork chops with Sauteed Apples and reserved 1/4 cup sauce. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired. Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 pork chop, 2/3 cup of Sauteed Apples, and about 1-1/2 brown sugar sauce).


Sauteed Apples:

3 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
6 cups sliced peeled Granny Smith apples
(about 2 pounds)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Melt butter in a larg skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples, saute' 6 minutes or until apples are just tender. Stir in brown sugar and ground cinnamon. Cook for 1 minute or until sugar melts. Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup).

42 comments:

PAT said...

Deb this all looks so good. I haven't had cornbread made like this since I was a child and Granny made it. That's about the only way we ever had cornbread, at her house. Good hot or cold!

bj said...

We often have fried cornbread patties...Hot Water Cornbread...
This all sounds so good....

ellen b. said...

Oh this looks fabulous Deb! Thanks for showing us how it is done!

Shirley said...

Deb, this looks so good. I love southern cooking. I'll have to think about getting one of those grills.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh this all sounds so good and it definitely sounds like good down home southern cooking. I love it all. Great recipes and I will definitely try them. Thanks for stopping by and I do hope you make the chocolate pie, they are always so good. Your grandmother probably made the same recipe. Hugs, Marty

xinex said...

The whole meal looks so delicious!..Christine

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

There is not one single thing on that plate that does not look delish!! Yum, yum! Thanks for sharing all these recipes. I want to get one of those grills to try. I have seen them but did not know if they worked. Thanks for sharing...Blessings, Barb

susan said...

I saw your wonderful meal and blog for the first time tonight. I read your profile and saw that you are from Birmingham--that eplains all this good southern food! We southerners know how to eat!!

Life on the Edge said...

I'm not much of a pork eater, but boy, this could change my mind! The apples sound delicious! I might be able to use my Splenda to substitute for the sugar.

Kady

Jill said...

Hey Deb

I just printed this out. I have to try it.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Deb just YUM girl..I love cornbread and this all looks wonderful..I love your TT also just beautiful Deb...you do have that magic touch in all in do..thanks for sharing..and thanks for coming by and seeing my bag trick..sure makes life a little easier doing it that way...Hope you have a great week end dear friend...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Anonymous said...

I've never used an indoor grill but this looks so good...I'm tempted to try it. The recipe will work on an outside grill, too.

Bo said...

Hi Deb...first of all, I keep forgetting to tell you how cute your shelf sitter critters are in your header photo! and I have some pork chops just squealing to get out of the freezer...so I think I'll try your recipe on them...yum! ;-) Bo

Amy said...

Looks wonderful and brings memories to me of my favorite Brady Bunch episode when Peter keeps saying "pork chops and applesauce!"

amy@maisonbelle

Bridget said...

OMG, that looks so tasty! I like to put the peas over my cornbread and sprinkle a little pepper sauce on them. Do you use pepper sauce in your neck of the woods? I'm referring to little peppers that are soaked in vinegar by Trappy's I think is the brand name. It's hard to come by around these parts but I brought a couple of bottles with me when I moved from Texas.

Cathy said...

Hi Deb - Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for leaving a comment. Foodie Fridays are a great way to meet new friends. I see some pretty fantastic recipes here and am looking forward to browsing through your posts.

Hope you came back again to visit.

Rattlebridge Farm said...

This is the BEST kind of eatin'. I love cornbread patties. I could eat them like chips! What a great meal you've cooked.
Hugs,
G

Anonymous said...

this looks freaking DELICIOUS! pork and apples just go PERFECT with each other! can I just use a regular skillet if I don't have an indoor BBQ grill?

imjacobsmom said...

I can't wait to try that sauce on my nest batch of pork chops. Your whole meal looks delish! ~ Robyn

Picket said...

Man Deb....those porkchops have me drooling all over the keyboard..that looks fantastic...where did you get that smokeless grill thingy...I need to try one of those....oh and I loved your dishes in that last post...girl you are getting so good at this designer stuff!!! Hope you have a great weekend sweetie!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Looks wonderful!

I had to smile when I saw the title, b/c it reminded me of the brady bunch episode when peter talks about "pork chooooooops -n- applesauuuuuuuce".

Thanks for stopping in!

Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Cass @ That Old House said...

Wow -- I am in awe. Lovely food! I am absolutely no good at grilling, but maybe I will give it another try. your recipe looks fantastic.
Thanks!
Cass

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Deb this looks so delicious! Do you use your indoor grill often? What brand is it? I used to have a stove-top grill, but don't have one in this house. I'm wondering about getting one like yours. Have I told you that I LOVE those farm animal shelf sitters on your header? So cute. laurie

Anonymous said...

thanks for the reply and the advice! I really appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Now something delicious as that can't be bad for me, right? Oh gosh it sounds and looks heavenly.

Miss Janice said...

Lord have mercy...more southern food. I just left another blog with southern food! Y'all are making this southern girl hungry. Looks yummy!

Rue said...

Hi Deb :)

Those look yum yum gooood!

Thank you for your sweet words of comfort. I'm better now and I'll be posting again really soon ;)

(((hugs)))
rue

Ruthie said...

Deb, This post makes me hungry. LOL.
You must be a wonderful cook - I'd never dare post for Foodie Friday. :)
Thanks for stopping by my Blogoversary. You were one of the first people I met in Blogland - and I've so enjoyed knowing you.
Hugs.

Sweetie said...

Hi Deb, Your meal looks absolutely delicious. I love pork and am always looking for different recipes. I used to have a grill like yours but gave it away. Now I'm sorry that I did. Also, your header is just too cute!
Sweetie

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I never saw one of those grills, but it sounds like a "must have" for me!!!!!! The pork chops sound just out of this world! I'm drooling here. And could you please tell us how you did the cornbread patties????? I love cornbread any which way!!!! Cora

janet said...

thank you for visiting my blog and for your kind comments. Now that i have looked at your yummy food, i think i need to head to the kitchen as its made me hungry.
hugs
janet

Sharon S said...

Hi there-LOL, I'm just drooling my dear, this looks totally delicious!!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Hey Deb thanks for coming by and seeing me girl...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Jan Parrish said...

Looks delicious. When's dinner?

Twice as Nice said...

Hey Deb,
If you decide to put the vinyl lettering in your oval frames and need the lettering made just let us know the size and we'll make them for you....'cause you're a sweetie!!

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Deb, That looks so yummy. I have that same grill. I don't use it much. I really should get it out. I hope you're having a great day.
Hugs, Terrie

Tamara Jansen said...

I've never heard of a smokeless grill.....sounds like a super idea, especially in winter !

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

Oh be still my heart!
How yummo does that sound!
That sauce I think I could slather over anything...Mmmmm

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

GM Deb...thanks for coming by and seeing my little family today...got to love those grand babies..may you have a great week girl...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Bo said...

Hi my sweet friend Deb...It's always a thrill to hear from you! If your Ross still has Ma & Pa Bunny, they'll probably be marking them down...maybe before Easter??? Anyway, if you sort of like them...go get them & we can be rabbits-in-law! Hugs, Bo

Roofing-Oakville said...

awesome link

plz check this link
www.allstarsroofing.com
Roofing Oakville, Hamilton Roofing, Roof Repair Mississauga, Roofing Companies Oakville, Roofing Burlington

We provide you all roofing services in Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton and Mississauga. Hamilton Roofing is specialized in Residential and Commercial roofing. All Stars Roofing trusted Company in Canada

Yang Kuo said...

I've never heard of a smokeless grill.....sounds like a super idea, especially in winter !

เย็ดสาว